The evening of December 7th, Mom became ill. So ill that she insisted I call an ambulance and take her to the hospital. Upon arrival, we found she needed emergency surgery for a supposed hole in her stomach. It was scary, but she put on a brave face - and several hours later emerged doing better than expected, considering her age and the huge gash they had to cut into her belly. Everyone was happy she seemed to be pulling thru so well - then we got the news. The "hole" in her stomach was not caused by an ulcer of some sort. It was from "lymphoma" cancer! We'd had NO idea she had this - nor had she, I think. Regardless - suffice it to say that the rest of December was a complete blur - 24/7 one of us sat at the bedside with her at the hospital. She would improve, then a side effect of something would knock her down again. Finally, On January 6th - Epiphany - Mom's old body finally had enough and she went home to be with her savior.
I went home in a fog. Actually, all of us did. We made the necessary burial arrangements, etc. but none of it felt real. I'd had this woman in my life for almost 51 years. Hers was the first voice I ever heard, the first touch I ever felt, the first love I ever knew. Adjusting to not having her around to visit, reminisce with or telephone when something was on t.v. I knew she would enjoy watching, was not easy. Oh - I know I am not the only person to ever have gone through this. Death touches us all. It had touched me when my father died, 13 years earlier. But this was different. I was the only daughter. I was the one who knew mom better than anyone else. I was so close to her. We never had the standard mother/daughter relationship with all of the arguing and competition. Mom and I always got along great.. And who wouldn't ?! With her cheerful, optimistic personality, that woman could've gotten along with Satan, himself!
So anyway... I missed her. Our birthdays rolled around - first hers, then mine a week later, with no cheery "happy birthday" singing phone calls. I missed her even more. Easter came and went without the standard Easter cards from her I'd come to take for granted. I missed her.
In the midst of all of this, I found that my frugal, simple living, thrift store shopping mother had managed to amass a little nest egg that was to be divided between my two brothers and myself. I debated upon what to do with my "windfall". 100k - a lot of money - but not enough to go completely crazy. The thought of putting it in the bank and making next to nothing in interest on it, went completely against my grain. My mom had inherited most of this money from a trust her father had set up - a man who perfectly exemplified the quintessential "rags to riches" story. He was an independent guy who had made it on his own - with no help from others. A man who believed in hard work and standing on his own two feet. A man who who had grown up so poor - the oldest of 12 children with a father who was an alcoholic - that his family lived in a tiny 2 room shack next to the railroad tracks. A man who only had a 4th grade education. A man whose class picture, taken at the turn of the century in Ohio, shows a group of smiling, happy kids warmly decked out in hats and coats - while he knelt there next to them staring seriously into the camera, wearing just a white shirt and pants - and no shoes. In winter. In Ohio.
![]() |
| Grandpa F. |
SO... back to the point of this blog. I had a small inheritance coming from my mother's estate and I didn't want to spend it stupidly. After much thought and consideration, I finally determined that the best way to respect the gift I was given by my mother and grandfather was to buy a house. Something that would increase in value. Something tangible that I could look at and remember all of the sacrifices that went into giving me this opportunity. We decided to use the money as a down payment on a small home built in 1960 (coincidentally, the same year the home where I was born was built) - located in a great resale neighborhood. We ended up following the age-old real estate advice of buying the "cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood" we could afford.
It's not a fancy house. It's small - 3 bdr., 2ba. 1700sq. ft. . It's old. It has a red brick exterior and hardwood floors. It's got a boring, all-one living room/dining room layout. It has a small family room with a low, sloping ceiling, made from a converted porch. AND it has most of the original features that gave it it's charm. A built in blonde brick planter by the entryway door. A built in kitchen hutch. A pink tiled bathroom. AND a blue tiled bathroom! Instead of wanting to tear those down and "modernize" the house, those features are actually what drew me to it.
My own little piece of history. A refuge where I can escape some of the insanity of the world today - at least for a bit. Built during a time when life was good and there was still so much hope for the future. When hard work was not demeaned. When morals and Christian values were not sneered upon. Space exploration was opening up. Viet Nam had not yet started. Divorce was not prevalent. Dual working families were unusual and not the norm, so most of the moms in the neighborhood were around to supervise their - and their neighbor's - children. Hippies, drug cultures, free-love with gratuitous sex and the downward spiral of society were still several years away. In 1960, people were looking toward the future with hope and upbeat expectations. It was still an "innocent" time. A great time to have lived - and a great time to build a home!

No comments:
Post a Comment